Self-Guided Neighborhood Cleanup
Can’t make it to one of our in-person creek cleanup sites, but still want to join the effort? Trash can travel through storm drains, creeks, and rivers to become marine debris. Pollution prevention starts at our front doors. Do an independent self-guided neighborhood cleanup and help be the solution to water pollution!
Be a community scientist by logging all of the trash that you find with the data collection app Clean Swell®. The amount and type of trash collected is used to inform legislation surrounding plastic pollution and to support policies already in place.
Thank you for making a difference in your community and helping our ocean! Show us your cleanup by sharing posts and photos on social media via email@example.com to tell us about your experience and share photos.
- Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your cleanup plans.
- Download Clean Swell® app, available for iOS and Android.
- Create an account. Note: you will need WiFi or data in order to do this. (View screenshot)
- Click “Start cleanup.” (View screenshot.) You will be asked for the date, number of people, group name, and type of cleanup (land or water). Enter “CCAG” under group name, and add a custom name afterwards if you would like to track yourself or your team’s data (e.g. CCAG – ○○ Green Club). Unless you are on a boat or other watercraft, you should choose “land.” (View screenshot)
- Clean your neighborhood, park, or other local area. Clean Swell can be used anywhere and anytime. Click on each icon once to add it to your trash count. (View screenshot.) If you are cleaning with a group, we recommend designating one person to collect data. You can correct a wrong entry by switching to “Remove Item” at the bottom of the screen. When finished, click “Done collecting.” (View screenshot)
- Confirm details of your cleanup, then click “Submit data.” (View screenshot.)